Sunday, July 22, 2012

Voice

Have been studying the work of some really good digital artists. I've been analyzing the physical aspects of the work (composition/layout/shapes/relationships/unity/etc) and I'm getting somewhere; I'm learning.

In the past, other people haven't really "gotten" my finished pieces. My message wasn't understood; I got very little feedback. I'd always assumed something was wrong with my technique. Contrasting that with the same group's enthusiastic support of other artists, who didn't have great technique, I begin to understand something about artistic voice.

Again in contrast, there are some artists who really have amazing technique... they blow me out of the water. One guy in particular is very prolific; but he draws the same subject every time. I've seen thousands of  his finished pieces. Technical masterpieces, but the message is crass and unnecessary. Other people respond to his work the same way... either by ignoring it, or by half-assedly acknowledging it.

The inescapable conclusion is that while technique can add tremendous power to your artistic message, it can't take the place of it. You don't want to compromise your artistic voice and draw a bunch of stuff you know will be popular. However, you do need to find a clear way to communicate that people will identify with. You do need an audience for your work.

You can work in obscurity and amass a ton of work, ignoring the need for audience. The risk is that you won't be discovered or appreciated in your lifetime.

But; there are ways to become understood, I believe. If your mind is way different than that of the average person, you can lead them toward understanding with storytelling... comics, serials, even screenplays. First, you do need to understand that your mind is different from that of your audience. Then, you need to transport this audience from point A, where they're at, to point Z... where your mind is. Only then will they begin to understand your message.

If you really believe strongly in your message, it may be the only way you have to get people on board with your ideas. You may need to tell them stories to move their minds. THEN the one-off pieces you do.... the still lifes, the pinups, the portraits.... then they will begin to make sense to the average viewer. Then you have a chance to have an audience who appreciates your work, your voice, and you as an artist.

-----------------------------

On the drawing front, I am doing more... just nothing I can post here or on CA. Soon I hope to begin producing some stuff to share there and here.

1 comment:

  1. Hey man, couldn't find a link to your latest sketches, but I read your thoughts above. Thank you for sharing them =) Not sure what I could add really, you seem to have given much thought about what you want from your art, and I appreciate that =) My opinion is that I like drawing to please myself first and if other people like it then woahey! =)

    ReplyDelete