Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Piano Fluency - Into Step 4!

 My Play Piano Fluently training seems to be going pretty well. I've recently started working on Step 4--Improvising on 3 and 4 Key Blocks.

For a few weeks, I seem to have been stuck on Step 3... but it was because I had not been connecting my conscious awareness of the blue and red groups in the "keyboard map" to the physical keyboard in front of me.

This graphic is finally how I started to see things... while looking straight ahead, I would try to "sense" each of those blue and red group "shapes" and then notice where the fingers I had played in those groups were located. This is how to connect tonality and location.--all much better explained in the materials. 


If I can just keep those shapes "sensed" where the graphic shows them, I'll be able to "map" the groups into my body--as the method explains.

So far, I'm about 7 weeks into the method. Phil Best (the creator of the method) mentions that to get through all 15 steps, it takes (on average) 3 years. If I continue at the same rate, I'll be through the course in 21 more weeks. Of course, that's probably not possible because of two things 1) some steps will be much more involved than the early steps... there's a lot of meat on the bones 2) there will be unforseen breakages and stoppages in my schedule where I will not be able to practice--for perhaps days at a time. 

I hope not. Hope I'm able to finish this method (eventually) and become a fully fluent pianist!


No comments:

Post a Comment